2012년 5월 7일 월요일



It was a very difficult homework for me, and I had two weeks for the homework.

The concept of GIS has evolved through time. GIS can be perceived as the layer or platform that blends the storage and computational power of computers with the questions of people. The increased availability of such technology has now brought GIS to a new front.

ArcMap by Esri is a kind of GIS oriented applications, and it is used primarily to view, edit, create, and analyze geospatial data. ArcMap allows the user to explore data within a data set, symbolize features accordingly, and create maps.

My experience with ArcMap was initially daunting. I thought that the program had a very complicated system, but from the tutorial system I would be interested in the program. I discovered some key patterns that were utilized to accomplish similar tasks from working with ArcMap. Such workflows include the process of creating a legend, title, or scale. In addition the interactions with the layers in the Table of Contents all followed a similar sequence of steps.

I grew more familiar with the tasks the tutorial assigned me by repeating from the tutorial a few times, but I also grew more cognizant of the downsides of GIS. A glaring pitfall of GIS seemed to be the number of ways similar tasks could be accomplished. Whether it be the rearrangement of table data or the insertion of a population layer, it seemed to me there were numerous paths that led to the same result.

Also, I realized many potential questions that GIS could leave unanswered. This includes the lack of interpretation in GIS. The purpose or readability of the map is dependent on the map’s creator and the software has no say or opinion on what the map it produced is. The freedom that GIS also offers to its users may produce misleading or inaccurate maps. But despite such pitfalls GIS remains an incredibly

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기